- 17 Apr 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
- Updated on 17 Apr 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
What is ad spend?
Ad Spend refers to the total amount of money allocated to advertising campaigns. To accurately calculate ad spend, you need to account for expenses on ad placements as well as associated costs like agency fees and personnel.
There are several ways to measure spend. Below are some of the metrics that are more widely used:
- CPM (cost per thousand impressions): The cost for every 1,000 ad impressions.
- CPC (cost per click): The cost for every ad click.
- CPL (cost per lead): The cost for every lead generated.
- CPA (cost per action): The cost for every desired action like an app install or purchase.
- CPS (cost per sale): The cost for every sale generated.
- CPI (cost per install): The cost for every app install.
What are the uses of spend?
Though the concept of spend is simple, aggregating data from different ad networks and platforms is challenging. Often, data from each source uses different terminology and metrics, making it difficult to accurately calculate return on ad spend (ROAS).
A thorough analysis of spend data and ROAS allows marketers to determine which campaigns, targeting strategies, and creatives are generating the highest returns. According to Adespresso, to gain accurate insight into campaign effectiveness and ROAS, you must account for all costs across platforms and networks.
How does Tenjin help with spend or cost aggregation?
There are three common methods for collecting ad spend data. These include:
Direct API access to ad networks and platforms: This provides real-time data, and the ability to attribute changes retroactively. In addition to spend, marketers can access creatives, bids, other campaign details, and more.
Mobile attribution using tracking parameters in ad links: This method has limitations in data completeness and accuracy.
Manual reconciliation using spreadsheets: This technique is time-consuming and prone to errors.
Tenjin solves the challenges of ad spend aggregation and ROAS analysis for mobile marketers. We automatically collect ad spend data from over hundreds of ad networks and platforms, clean and organize the data, and provide visualization tools for real-time analysis and optimization.
What are the benefits of using Tenjin for Ad Spend Aggregation?
Using Tenjin for ad spend aggregations gives users:
- Accurate, cross-platform data that enables fast, data-driven decisions.
- A single source of truth aligning teams and stakeholders.
- More saved time as it eliminates the need to manually collect and reconcile data from different sources.
- Granular data at the campaign, creative, and ad level.
In summary, the key to effective ad spend analysis and ROAS optimization is a platform that provides accurate, complete, and real-time data across channels.